You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘healing power of gratitude’ tag.
In other words, gratitude begets gratitude.
Or put yet another way, what you focus on expands.
I like that.
It comforts me, though sometimes I forget.
We humans seem to be hardwired to focus on the negative especially in tough times.
But that’s when we need to do just the opposite.
Accentuate the positive, as the old song goes.
So here goes…
My daily trip to feed our two old sweeties makes me grateful today for these things:
- I’m outside and away from my computer and all things electronic.
- I get to interact with the elements and remember what it feels like to have wind in my hair or snow on my face, or grasshoppers in my shoes.
- I see awe-inspiring sights like the sunset the other evening that took my breath.
- I have horse friends that greet me every time I see them.
- Being outdoors with my horses connects me to the wildness I so often crave.
Now it’s your turn.
Tell me one thing that today, this very minute you feel grateful for.
Wednesdays with Mija
For those of you who may be new to the blog, don’t be surprised when you see something every Wednesday from me – a cat.
Yes, I know it’s a blog mostly about horses. But I wanted in on the action because I think I know a thing or two about aging and life too.
Today I’m offering you my summer gratitude list.
I hope it will inspire you to create your own list, because cultivating a feeling of thankfulness is a lovely way to be in the world.
Every day I find at least ten things to be grateful for. Some days I even have more than ten. It is a very entertaining hobby.
- People who love me enough to allow me to be exactly who I am.
- My daily massage.
- Cat treats and the people who invented them.
- A garden filled with perfect napping spots.
- Chairs on the deck that fit me perfectly.
- My bowl on the deck because I adore drinking my water alfresco.
- A daily comb-out to keep me looking my best.
- Welcoming, cozy laps.
- Stimulating conversations with my people.
I’m heading off to Denver tomorrow with my friends from World by the Tail to attend Blog Paws West – a conference devoted to blogging about animals. I have no idea what to expect really, but I know it will be fun and informative.
And even though the title of the conference specifically includes the word “paws,” I’m hoping to meet up with some folks who blog about horses. I’ll let you know next week how it goes.
That brings me in a round about way to gratitude, which is something that’s been on my mind lately. As a therapist, I know the healing effects of being grateful. There has been much written about the practice of keeping a gratitude journal, or making a daily list of things for which to feel grateful. In truth, it’s something I go in and out of. Remembering to feel grateful every single day hasn’t become ingrained in me yet.
Though I am working on it.
I know it’s powerful stuff.
So here goes.
My gratitude list for this Thursday, as they say on Dancing With the Stars, in no particular order:
- The spicy, cinnamon fragrance of freshly-picked basil
- The Black Eyed Susans that are in bloom all over town
- Crisp mornings and sunny days
- Blackberry-peach cobbler
- Mija snuggling into me in the early mornings
- Pepper figuring out that she must eat her grain before she can have treats
- You – my faithful readers of this blog.
- My adorable, magical grandson and his wonderful parents
- My friends and family – the people who love me and are my safety net
- The look on Bud’s face when he first sees us drive up to the gate to feed him
- A body that still does what it’s supposed to!
That’s my list.
I could go on, which is comforting to me. I guess I’m feeling very grateful today.
What about you?
Are you willing to share one thing that’s on your gratitude list in the comments?
I hope so.