Three and a half years ago when I started writing this blog, it was with the intention to notice life, especially from the vantage point of two old horses. That would be Bud and Pepper. I wanted to pay attention to what these two old sweeties could teach me about the process of aging.
Fast forward to today, and close to eight hundred posts later. What have I learned? What has grabbed my attention? Given me hope? Filled me with joy? Touched me deeply?
On this day that happens to be my birthday, I offer this very incomplete list, in no order other than how the items occurred to me.
- Eat with intention and gratitude
- Stand your ground
- Rely on the help of others
- Find your herd
- Be present to every single day
- Accept change with grace
- Create routines
- Every now and then, kick up your heels and run
- Cultivate your sense of humor
- Make new friends
- Share your knowledge
- Follow your own inner compass
- Now and then, be a rebel
- Spend time in nature
- Laugh more
- Find beauty everywhere
- Ask for what you need
- Be a loyal friend
- Learn to let go
- Slow down
- Save room for special treats
- Trust even when you don’t know the outcome
- Face your fears
This is a good start on a list that is ever-evolving.
I’m curious what you may have learned as you’ve followed our daily life in the pasture. If you’re so inclined, leave a comment below and tell me.