When I drove out of the parking lot of the grocery store in the late afternoon yesterday, it was raining. The sky was a dull blue-black color and the clouds were dark, menacing really.

The wind had blown leaves off trees and I wondered for a moment if we’d had a tornado.

Or microburst.

Come to think of it, I could hear thunder while I was rolling up and down the aisles, reading labels and trying to buy healthy food.

In the car with the wipers swooshing back and forth in front of me, I made a decision not to go feed the horses.

I figured they’d be hunkered down in the shed anyway.

And it would be a mess out at the pasture.

Was I really ready to deal with mud again?

Besides, I had a to-do list the length of my right leg, which happens to be slightly longer than my left leg. So my list was really long! (Sorry if that falls into the category of Too Much Information!)

We’re getting ready for company; I’m working on a big old project with lots of deadlines, and my husband was working late.

All respectable reasons to skip a feeding.

But in the middle of cleaning house, working, putting the groceries away and folding laundry, it stopped raining.

It got quite nice, as Colorado is known to do.

And I realized that I needed some horse time. Time that required me to slow down, settle down, and simply be with the horses.

So I loaded up grain and meds, changed my clothes and headed for the pasture.

I’m so glad that I changed my mind.

Because if I’d stayed home cleaning bathrooms I would have missed this gorgeous view.

It turns out my guys were in the far end of the pasture, not in the shed with the other horses. The ones they don’t care to be around.

The air was cool.

The sun was setting, giving a lovely glow to everything.

And the horses were playful. They popped up their heads when they finally recognized me.

Pepper started the caravan toward the gate.

At first they walked  with me, but that didn’t last long. And Miss H. (formerly Hanger, but still without a new nickname. We’re considering all your suggestions.) wasn’t with them. I think she has a boyfriend.

Hey, where is she?

Yes, they beat me to the gate. At first all I could see was a row of horse behinds. Then Pepper, ever the vigilant girl, saw me and turned as if to say, “Could ya get a move on?”

The other four continued to look for me outside the gate. Maybe they were looking for my husband who often accompanies me to the pasture in the evenings. Yes, that’s it. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Bud and Pepper went right to their feed pans once I opened the gate. They munched and crunched and nosed around for treats. Bud eventually wandered off to graze in the hay field while Pepper finished eating.

I thought.

I took this photo of Bud grazing and enjoying life. And while I was distracted, Miss Pepper decided to help herself. I heard the crash and knew immediately what it was.

Horse candy.

All over the ground. And one very proud-of-herself Quarter Horse thinking she’d hit the mother lode.

See for yourself. I have it all in living color.

Pepper is busted.

I picked up the spilled candy, and walked Pepper back to her friends. Then I did the same with Bud.

I gave everyone a rub on the forehead and one more treat for good measure.

As I drove toward home I realized my breathing was slower, my shoulders were back down where they are supposed to live on my body, and I was smiling. Actually I was laughing at the look on Pepper’s face as she dove into the spilled treats.

Ah…..horse therapy.

Thanks guys.

Then it was back to cleaning the bathroom.